Auto Insurance Requirements In Vermont
Vermont Auto Insurance
According to Vermont state law, all motorists applying for vehicle registration are required to have valid vehicle liability insurance. This insurance helps cover the costs of damages or injuries you may have inflicted on others if you are responsible for an accident. You must carry evidence of insurance in your vehicle at all times, and provide it to law enforcement and others involved in an accident with you upon request. While this is the minimum amount as required by law, drivers are strongly urged to consider higher limits. It’s also important to note that, while Vermont law does not require you to have collision and comprehensive coverages, you may have to purchase both as part of your car’s finance or lease agreement.
Car Insurance Policy Requirements in the state of Vermont
Vermont law mandates that every automobile insurance policy sold in the state must have these minimum coverages:
- $25,000 per person and $50,000 for two or more people in an accident
- $100,000 per person and $300,000 per accident
- $10,000 per accident
- $50,000 per person and $100,000 per accident (Bodily Injury)
- $10,000 (Property Damage)
Penalties and Violations
If you are caught driving without insurance in Vermont, you may be subject to:
- Up to $500 in civil penalties
- Up to $100 for not having proof of insurance
- Variable license suspension until insurance is proven/satisfied
- Required SR22 insurance (up to 3 years)
- Higher insurance premiums
- Registration reinstatement costs
You are also deemed fully responsible for any financial repercussions should you cause an accident and not have any insurance to cover the cost of the damage.
Choosing the insurance that’s actually right for you may seem overwhelming. It’s important to make sure you’re adhering to the law in whatever state you live. Don’t go it alone — have one of our friendly, knowledgeable agents help you cut through the nonsense, and get you the security you need while you’re out on the road. Getting the right insurance is just a few steps away.